Facebook link

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Lying is good business

Good morning bookies! Spring is still begrudging the mid-south her shining face, even as temps rise very slowly into the realm of normal and slightly above. Yet, whether winter comes back or not, it does seem a corner has been turned. Thank God!

You've known it for a long time, I'm sure, but accuracy does not matter if the subject matter is good enough. That's the lesson-re-learned from Charles Pellgrino's Last Train From Hiroshima. Essentially, the entire book has been compromised by the lies that have already come to light and inferences that more are in there. So what? After Henry Holt announced they were shutting down production sales sky-rocketed and James Cameron avowed that just because it wasn't accurate didn't mean he wouldn't make the movie.

So what's the lesson? I don't know, I really don't. I'm a historian, I sweat every little detail, no matter how inconsequential it may seem. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Maybe all I need to do is write something wildly inaccurate but popular with a certain group, sell the film rights and cash the royalty checks. It would seem that if the politics are popular, nothing else matters.

Last Train catches fire after lies exposed

No comments: